Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Baking Crazy Woman

I'm a baking machine today! First, I started the morning off by wiping up a batch of gluten-free bread in the bread machine. I got this recipe from Crystal.

Gluten-Free Bread

1.5 C water
1/4 C olive oil
3 eggs (or egg replacer)
1/4 C tapioca flour
1/2 C potato starch
2.5 C rice flour (I used white & brown rice flour, as well as some buckwheat flour)
1 T xanthan gum
1 t salt
2 t yeast

I can't remember which setting I use - the one that take 2:40.

Then while Bear was napping, I made him some Banana Bread.

Special Bear Banana Bread (extra iron, low sugar)
2 eggs, beaten until frothy
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup brown rice syrup or water or apple butter
1/4 cup molasses
1 1/2 cups Mashed, Ripe Banana
1 tablespoon Baking Powder (I mix my own)
2 1/2 cups rice flour (or a combo of rice, potato & tapioca)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Beat eggs until frothy.
Add oil, water sugar and banana. Mix briefly.
Add dry ingredients and mix well.
Dump into an 8-inch round pan that has been greased. Bake about 30 minutes.

My baking powder recipe
:
1/8 cup baking soda
1/4 cup creme of tartar (about a small container)
1/4 cup arrowroot or potato starch (I used potato starch flour)

And then I made this recipe with the prune plums I got at the farmer's market that Gluten-free Girl just happened to conveniently post in her blog.

Clafoutis
3 cups Italian plums, chopped into bite-size pieces
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/4 cup milk (I used 1 cup rice, 1/4 cup coconut)
1/3 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup sweet rice flour (I used teff, sorghum & rice flour since I didn't have either type of flour)
1/4 cup amaranth flour
1/3 cup sugar

Preheat the oven to 350°.
Toss the chopped plums with the honey and let them marinate for a bit. Set aside.
Throw the milk, 1/3 cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, and two flours into a blender and puree them up until the batter resembles a slightly thick pancake batter.
Pour a thin layer of batter onto the bottom of deep-dish pie pan. Put it in the oven and let it bake until the layer has set.
Spoon in the honeyed fruit, evenly, over the bottom layer. Sprinkle on the remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Pour in the remaining batter.
Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the top is lovely and crusty.
Serve warm or room temperature.



The GF bread and the banana bread came out well, but I haven't tried the Clafoutis yet. I'll let you know how that came out!

2 comments:

heather said...

Ok, so I've just found your blog from GSG (I'm heather), and I think you're my crazy Christian kindred spirit. :)

Having not read the whole thing, are you gluten-free and dairy free as a lifestyle choice or as a matter of choice? I've always wanted to try gluten-free bread, just never gotten to it (I have a grain mill and could make most kinds of flour).

Brenna Kate Simonds said...

Cool! I checked out your blogs & I think we might possibly be quite similar :) I've recovered from an eating disorder, but am still figuring out the whole hungry & full thing.

My breastfed 13-month-old is sensitive to wheat, corn, soy, dairy & nuts. So I've been eating this way for 9 months, in addition to a 3-month elimination diet. I plan on continuing to breastfeed for a while longer, so I've had to change a lot of my eating habits.