Sunday, August 22, 2010

Gluten Free Chocolate Beet Cake

I had some beets from the CSA that I desperately needed to use up, so I decided to modify Green Smoothie Girl's recipe for a Chocolate Beet Cake.

Gluten Free Chocolate Beet Cake
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia (or another 1/2 cup sugar plus 1 teaspoon vanilla)
1/4 cup coconut oil
about 1 1/2 large ripe bananas
1 3/4 cups steamed beets (about 2 large beets, chopped - she says to peel them, I did not)
4 Tbsp. raw cacao (best) or nonalkalized baking cocoa
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 sorghum flour

Mix all the ingredients in your blender except for the flours. Dump the blended purple mess into a bowl and take a picture. Really, it is such a beautiful, rich color! Then mix in the flours and take another picture.



Bake in 9”x13” oiled pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. It's a lot less purple once it's cooked.



So good. I didn't frost it. It was good as is. It probably would have been fine with all buckwheat flour, so I'll likely do that next time.

2 comments:

JayLeigh said...

Yum! That looks awesome!

Linda said...

Now I am hoping I get more beets in my CSA box tomorrow. That looks great.