Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Healthy Choices & Changes

I realized the other day how much better my overall health has been since I was forced to do an elimination diet due to my nursing son's food sensitivities. I was not eating dairy, soy, corn, wheat, nuts & most seeds for over a year, and I'm still not eating dairy, soy or wheat, and am only eating small traces of corn.

Here's a couple of examples of my improved health:
I have not gotten a cold or the flu in over a year, despite my son and spouse both getting sick numerous times (and no, I did not get a flu shot). I generally get a debilitating cold at least 2-3 times a year, and I annually lose my voice. Not this year!
My weight is lower than it's been in a long time with no effort on my part.
I feel pretty good, despite not getting enough sleep.
My horizons have broadened! I realize how great it feels to eat lots of raw foods and cook with whole ingredients, rather than packaged foods.

I've been reading accounts of how dairy affects asthma and other chronic health issues. I shared this with a friend whose daughter has asthma. It was just overwhelming for her to imagine cutting out all dairy, and I imagine that is the case for many.

What I'm imagining is simply an awareness. Make one more recipe a week without dairy, or when you consider adding cheese to that soup, salad, or sandwich, think for a minute if the dish might be good without it. Think about a possible substitute or dairy in one of your favorite recipes. Consider whether you can make that baked good or bread from scratch with whole food ingredients and no preservatives.

Changes don't have to be drastic. That's why I'm enjoying reading Green Smoothie Girl's 12 Step Program. I finally broke down and purchased them, though I've been reading her blog and incorporating many of the steps for months. She encourages you to make one change a month, rather than making a lot of radical changes all at once. It makes a lot of sense!

What small change can you make today in your journey of health?

I'll be back later to post my recipes :)

4 comments:

heather said...

We made huge changes in the area of dairy. I don't limit yogurt or kefir, but otherwise, my kids have one item containing dairy per day. We use homemade almond milk on cereal, and maybe an ounce of string cheese or some crumbled feta on our salad or entree per day. I r-e-a-l-l-y noticed how congested we all were on vacation and eating more dairy than usual, and my husband used his inhaler much more.

Brenna Kate Simonds, Living Unveiled said...

That's awesome, Heather! Small changes can make a huge difference :)

ElephantKisses said...

It's like I get to read your mind. Mwhahahaha!

health said...

You are AMAZING! Thank you thank you thank you so much for this. I was considering doing the same thing and you’ve just made the task a lot less daunting.
health magazineus