Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day Food :)

Breakfast was eggs & pumpkin bread that I made yesterday. I also made gluten-free bread & banana bread yesterday, but forgot to mention it in my blog entry.

This recipe works well with canned pumpkin instead of banana, so I made a banana bread for Bear & a pumpkin bread with chocolate chips and walnuts for me.

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
2 eggs, beaten until frothy
1/4 cup Oil (I used canola)
1/4 cup Water
1/4 cup Sugar, Molasses Honey or Brown Rice Syrup
1 1/2 cups Mashed, Ripe Banana
1 tablespoon Baking Powder (I mix my own)
2 1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend (I use buckwheat, garbanzo bean & brown rice flour)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (if making pumpkin bread)
1/2 cup enjoy life chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Beat eggs until frothy.
Add oil, water, sugar and banana. Mix briefly.
Add dry ingredients and mix well.
Stir in chocolate chips and/or walnuts.
Spoon into a 8-inch cake pan or a square cake pan. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until done.

My baking powder recipe:
1/8 cup baking soda
1/4 cup creme of tartar (about a small container)
1/4 cup arrowroot or potato starch (I used potato starch flour)

Lunch was a green smoothie and chicken sandwich, with leftover chicken from last night's rotisserie chicken.

Dinner was more chicory salad and taco soup.

Taco Soup
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups water
1 (16 ounce) can chopped stewed tomatoes, with juice
2/3 cup dry beans (I used pinto & small red beans)
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced

1. Soak the beans in water overnight. Drain, rinse and put in crockpot on low with everything but the ground beef.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook ground beef until meat is evenly brown; drain excess fat. Throw in the crockpot with everything else and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
3. Ladle hot soup into serving bowls and stir in the avocado.

I doubled this recipe. It fit nicely in my crockpot, and it was very good.

No comments: