Saturday, October 2, 2010

Wheat-free Acorn Squash Sourdough Pancakes

It's a beautiful morning, 52 degrees, and fall is in the air.

This week, I received an acorn squash with my CSA, so I decided to roast it for dinner last night - not realized it would take an hour and a half to cook! I also had a sourdough starter discard (or whatever you call it) that I needed to use. So I decided to make these pancakes. The starter was originally just dark rye flour and water. It was given to me by a friend. After a week in the fridge, I split the starter into 2 containers, continuing to add dark rye flour to one and buckwheat to the other.

Wheat-free Acorn Squash Sourdough Pancakes
1/2 an acorn squash, roasted and peeled
1/2 cup sourdough starter
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup water
2 eggs or egg replacer
1/2 tablespoon oil (I used coconut) plus oil for frying)
1/8 teaspoon salt
Liquid for thinning (water or milk)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

The night before you want to make these, mix 1/2 cup sourdough starter with 1/2 cup buckwheat flour and 1/2 cup water. Cover with a towel (my mom always did this, so I did too) and leave on the counter overnight.

Also, cut an acorn squash in half, scooping out the seeds, and put it in a roasting pan. Roast it at 400 degrees for an hour to hour & a half; then put it in the fridge overnight.

The next morning, peel half a squash. Mix the peeled squash & the sourdough starter, mashing the squash as you mix. Add 2 eggs, 1/2 tablespoon oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus any liquid for thinning, depending on the consistency of your sourdough and how thick or thin you like your pancakes. My sourdough was pretty thick, so I added a tiny bit of water. Mix lightly, and spoon onto on oiled frying pan. I covered them while they cooked for more thorough cooking. Flip to cook over side, and voila! Sourdough pancakes. Serve with maple syrup.

I had absolutely no idea how these would come out, but they were good! The fermented flavor was not strong, and the spice was light. I am not a fan of winter squash, but the flavor was not strong, which for me is good :)

No comments: