Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Gluten-Free Vegan Pumpkin Chai Bread with Cranberries

I made this yesterday: really good! I adapted this recipe at Gluten-free Goddess's blog.

Pumpkin Chai Bread with Cranberries

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil the bottom of a standard bread loaf pan or 8x10 baking pan and dust with gluten-free flour.

Combine in a large bowl:
1 rounded cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup light olive oil
1 cup organic light brown sugar or 1/2 cup raw agave nectar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Ener-G Egg Replacer for 2 eggs made with warm water (I used eggs)
1/3 to 1/2 cup orange juice (start with less, add more as needed, you can also use apple juice or cider)

Whisk together in a separate bowl:
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (I used a combo of buckwheat/sorghum/tapioca starch)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice or cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (I left this out because I can't find mine)

Add the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture and stir until smooth. If the batter looks too thin and wet, add more gluten-free flour, a tablespoon at a time, to thicken the batter.

Add-In Options:
3/4 cup chopped fresh cranberries (added these)

She also says you can add one or more of the following: I didn't use any of these in order to make it Bear-friendly, though I may try chocolate chips next time.
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup golden or dark raisins
1/2 cup vegan gluten-free soy-free chocolate chips

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf or baking pan (I used a 8X8 flatter baking pan) and bake in the center of a preheated oven for 40 minutes to an hour, until the loaf is firm, a bit crusty, and a wooden pick inserted into the center emerges clean.

Cool the loaf on a wire rack.


I had to add extra flour (1/4 cup brown rice flour), but it still could have used a little more flour.

No comments: