Friday, May 29, 2009

Raw Pumpkin Seed Milk

I think there's some sort of line in the crunchiness sand that one crosses when they start making their own raw milk.

I've crossed that line.

Pumpkin Seed Milk
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds

Soak these for 8 hours or overnight.  Then drain and put in a blender.

10-12 deglet dates or 6-8 medjool dates

Soak in 2 cups of purified water overnight. Do not drain. Put straight into the blender as is.

Add:
A few dashes of salt
1 additional cup purified water
1/4 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use alcohol-free), optional

Blend like crazy. I blend this on 8 in my Blendtec. I'm told it doesn't need to be strained, but mine did. Strain through a strainer with small holes or through cheesecloth. Save the pulp and add to baking (like banana or pumpkin bread!). It makes about 4 cups.

I used vanilla extract for the 1st 2 batches, but it tasted artificial to me. This last batch, I left off the vanilla, and it tastes great. I have some vanilla beans coming in a few weeks. I'll trying adding it back in then.

I think I should make a quiz. "You know you're a crunchy foodie when...." Any ideas? I have one! When you start guessing the temperature by the state of your raw, unrefined, virgin coconut oil :)

No comments: