Sunday, August 22, 2010

Gluten Free Chocolate Beet Cake

I had some beets from the CSA that I desperately needed to use up, so I decided to modify Green Smoothie Girl's recipe for a Chocolate Beet Cake.

Gluten Free Chocolate Beet Cake
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia (or another 1/2 cup sugar plus 1 teaspoon vanilla)
1/4 cup coconut oil
about 1 1/2 large ripe bananas
1 3/4 cups steamed beets (about 2 large beets, chopped - she says to peel them, I did not)
4 Tbsp. raw cacao (best) or nonalkalized baking cocoa
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 sorghum flour

Mix all the ingredients in your blender except for the flours. Dump the blended purple mess into a bowl and take a picture. Really, it is such a beautiful, rich color! Then mix in the flours and take another picture.

Bake in 9”x13” oiled pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. It's a lot less purple once it's cooked.

So good. I didn't frost it. It was good as is. It probably would have been fine with all buckwheat flour, so I'll likely do that next time.


JayLeigh said...

Yum! That looks awesome!

Linda said...

Now I am hoping I get more beets in my CSA box tomorrow. That looks great.