Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Crockpot Vegetarian Chili

I'm in the process of gathering up recipes to use for freezer meals. I'll create 8 vegan, gluten free, dairy free and soy free bean-based freezer meals, and share the process with you all. Many of them would be good with meat added, if that's your preference.

I'll post the recipes here that I haven't shared already.

Vegetarian Crockpot Chili
1 cup each 4 types dry beans (I use black, kidney, garbanzo, and pinto usually)
1 can tomato sauce, about 14 ounces
2 cans diced tomatoes, totaling 32 ounces
2 teaspoons chili powder
3 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon salt
1 large onion, pealed and chopped
½ head of garlic, pealed and chopped
2-3 cups of water
Whatever veggies you want (I shred zucchini and carrots into this recently. Veggies will basically disintegrate if you have picky children. A great way to use shriveled veggies).

1. Soak the 4 cups total of dry beans overnight. Drain in the morning.
2. Dump all other ingredients into the crockpot. I cook this on high because I have an older crockpot (doesn’t get as hot or cook as fast) and because I use kidney beans.

3. Cook until beans are soft (about 8 hours).

No comments: