Monday, September 29, 2008

Callaloo Soup!

I never blogged about my callaloo soup. It actually came out quite well! Roy especially enjoyed it. I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to find callaloo leaves in order to make this, though. I've never seen them at the grocery store, and I don't imagine they'd be easy to find (mine arrived in my organic produce box).

So here's my version of Callaloo Soup :)

Callaloo Soup
Ingredients
1 lb. of callaloo leaves
1 stalk of celery with leaves
2 bunches of green onions
2 chopped medium onions
3 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 tsp. of thyme
1/2 chopped sweet pepper
1/2 lb. of sliced okra
1/4 tsp of cloves
4 c. of chicken stock (vegetable stock would work fine as well)
1 1/2 to 2 c. of coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. of hot pepper sauce

Directions
1. Wash, drain, and coarsely chop greens, celery stalk and leaves.
2. Put all ingredients in a slow cooker, except hot sauce.
3. Cook on low until all vegetables are soft (I cooked it about 8 hours).
4. Puree soup in blender. Add salt and pepper and hot pepper sauce.
5. Put soup back in slow cooker. Serve hot.

Yum!

No comments: