Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Italian Chili

I made some yummy Italian Chili yesterday & thought I'd share the recipe with you all.

Italian Chili

1 coarsely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup sliced celery
3 cups dry beans, assorted (green whole peas, green whole lentils, small red beans, small white beans, light red kidney beans, pinto beans, red split lentils, black beans, and black eye beans, etc.)
6 cups liquid (some combination of water, broth, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, etc.)
2-3 Tablespoon veggie bouillon powder
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
1.5 teaspoons salt
.5 teaspoon pepper

(I also added spinach)

Directions:
Soak beans overnight. Drain & rinse beans, and then add all ingredients to crockpot. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

This is thick like chili. The 1st time I made it, I meant it to be sort of more like minestrone, but I liked the way it came out. The split peas help thicken it, so don't be afraid of them :) Very good!

No comments: