Sunday, September 7, 2008

I Did It!

I ran the Race for the Cure! Bear stayed home because he still had a fever. We decided it wasn't a good idea to expose 7000 people to his germs, and vice versa, especially since some people participating in the race are undergoing cancer treatment.

I ran the whole race without stopping! My official time was 32:05. I think they time you from the official beginning of the race rather than from when you actually cross the starting line and begin running because I timed myself and it was somewhere around 30:15 or 30:20 (I forgot to stop the stopwatch on my phone after I crossed the finish line, and didn't remember until it was up to 30:25). That means I ran less than 10 minutes miles - woo-hoo!

It was really an awesome experience. I loved looking around at those women in the pink shirts who were survivors of breast cancer. There were people of all ages there, including small children, all running (or walking) for a common goal: to alleviate the suffering of other human beings.

Awesome.

I'm going to try and raise the other $345. I plan on giving $50 to keep things going, so that will bring it down to $295. I think $705 is awesome (especially since I didn't raise any money when I ran in 2003), but $1000 would be even more awesome!

Here's what I looked like at the end of the race:


I did a little carbo-loading last night and whipped up a batch of these oatmeal cookies. My, are they good! Of course, I added raisins to some, chocolate chips to others, and pumpkin seeds to some. Yum, yum. I also replaced half the fat (it calls for 1 cup of butter!) with canned squash, and the other half of the fat was a combination of coconut oil & palm shortening. Yum, though I think they're a bit too sweet for my taste. Next time, I'm going to try making them with less sugar.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!! I really respect your doing that.

I also know you are an awesome cookie maker and will try hard to not envy.

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo!!! Awesome! You go, girl!

Grey Matter Escapades said...

Awesome! That's quite the accomplishment.

Canned squash in lieu of butter? Did it add a squashy flavor?

(I originally left this over in LJ on the RSS feed till Eva-Marie was kind enough to point out that this would be the better place to comment)

Brenna Kate Simonds, Living Unveiled said...

Thanks, everyone!

This recipe did not taste squashy, but others might. Other good fat/oil subs are mashed bananas, pumpkin (the flavor of which I prefer), and applesauce. I generally only replace 1/3 to 1/2 of the oil so it doesn't dry out. Plus, I don't want to appear anti-fat :)