Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Gluten-free Dairy-free Chocolate Zucchini Bread

One of the veggies that's in season right now is the zucchini. We are not able to have a garden where we currently live (hence, our weekly trips to the farmer's market), but one of our neighbors has a garden and has been passing along lettuce, zucchini & summer squash. Another neighbor passed along a recipe for chocolate zucchini bread, which was fairly easily converted to gluten-free dairy-free and soy-free.

Here it is!

Gluten-free Dairy-free Chocolate Zucchini Bread
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup sucanat (or sugar)
1/2 cup oil (I most likely used coconut)
1/2 cup mashed banana (or use another 1/2 cup oil)
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups zucchini, coarsely grated
2 cups gluten-free baking mix
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa

Beat first 5 ingredients until thick. Stir in remaining ingredients. Add to a greased baking dish (I used 8X8 cake pan, the recipe calls for a large tube). Bake at 350 degrees until done (took about 40 minutes).

This was really, really good!!

5 comments:

Linda said...

So glad you posted the recipe. Thanks!

Linda said...

Brenna, it's the weirdest thing. Your link is part of Wednesdays post and the review in the html but for some reason it's not showing up. I re-entered it on Wednesdays post and it's there now. I'll keep working on the review post. It did show up on the review post in Google Reader.

Linda said...

I'm glad you reminded me of this recipe. Our weather is supposed to be cooler on Wednesday. I might have a zucchini baking day.

Mamacita said...

Just stumbled upon you. Thank you very much for the recipe. It's awesome, and it's hard for us to find recipes to fit my husband's diet (no gluten, no dairy, and no legumes). This is certainly delicious enough for "regular" folk to eat it, and I couldn't be more pleased. BTW, I ended up with some leftover batter, so I cooked it as cookies (350F for 10 min)...turned out surprisingly well. Thanks!

Brenna Kate Simonds, Living Unveiled said...

Mamacita, so glad you're here! I don't post super-often, but I have a large archive of recipes that will fit your husband's diet. I don't use a lot of bean flours myself, though some of my crockpot dishes incorporate legumes. Ooo, zuke cookies sound good.

Welcome!