Thursday, December 10, 2009

Wheat-free Dairy-free Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I had a hankering for oatmeal raisin cookies yesterday. Usually, I make GlutenFreeGirl's recipe, but I don't have any teff flour. So I did an internnet search and converted the 1st recipe I found. Here's what I came up with.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup mashed banana
1/4 cup soy-free margarine (you can just use 3/4 cup margarine or oil for the 1st 3 ingredients)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups gluten-free baking mix (works out to be 1 cup rice flour, 1/3 cup potato starch flour & 1/6 cup tapioca flour with 1 teaspoon xanthan gum)
2 1/2 cup oats (I used quick oats because that's what I had, could also use GF oats)
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Beat together all ingredients except oats, baking mix & raisins. Add baking mix & stir well then add oats & raisins, again stirring well. Drop cookies onto greased baking sheet. Cook for about 10 minutes, depending on cookie size. They don't need to cook as long as I thought they would.

Honestly, I thought these were as good if not better than GFG's recipe. I used less sugar than the traditional recipe, but I didn't even notice the difference.

I've been experimenting a lot with my baking mix. I'm simply adding it in place of flour in wheat-containing recipes to see how it goes. So far, so good! I've converted muffin recipes, cornbread recipes and now oatmeal cookie recipes to easily be wheat/gluten-free. It's so handy to have around. I highly recommend mixing some up and keeping it on your shelf.

No comments: