Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Cornbread Casserole



I got the idea for this by making Impossible Cheeseburger Pie, a recipe I found over at $5 dinners, but she must have taken it down. You can find a similar recipe at Bob's Red Mill. I thought, "That'd be good with cornbread and beans!" Here's what I came up with.

Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Cornbread Casserole
4 cups cooked beans, more or less (I used a combo of kidney, black & pinto)
Some ground turkey or beef, up to 1 lb (optional)
1 14oz can diced tomatoes, chopped finer if you want
1 tablespoon taco seasoning (except when I make the recipe, I half the chili powder to make it easier on the toddler's tastebuds)
1/2 chopped onion (optional)
8 oz package corn (optional)

If you're using meat, brown it, drain the fat, add a little water & add taco seasoning. I've done it with or without meat - it's good both ways. Add all other ingredients to pan & heat those up. Dump in the bottom of a greased casserole dish. I use an oval-shaped dish, as you can see in the picture.

The following is the cornbread topping. It's a basic cornbread recipe, with an extra egg and 1/2 cup liquid added.
1-2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk substitute or water
1/4 cup oil or soy-free margarine
1/4 sugar (optional - I leave it out)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup corn meal
1 1/4 cups baking mix or gluten-free flour plus 1 teaspoon xanthan gum

Mix together liquids, and then add dry ingredients. Dump this on top of the bean mixture and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. It'd be good with melted cheese (maybe some Daiya?) and/or avocado cubes/guacamole.

The picture below is from the first time I made it. I don't think I used a full cornbread recipe. If you want the topping to be thinner, use 1/2 or 3/4 of the cornbread recipe.

3 comments:

Linda said...

I made a similar recipe last week, but it needed a little more to it. I like that yours uses tomatoes and corn. Mine is mostly meat and beans. Corn bread is always a winner and a great topping for the casserole. Thanks for joining "What can I eat that's gluten free?"

Anonymous said...

That looks like it tasted good.
Nice website you have here.
Have a wonderful New Year.

Brian said...

I like the cornbread crust idea. It sounds tasty.