Monday, February 8, 2010

Herbed Cheesy Gluten-free Dairy-free Biscuits



Last Monday, I wanted to make some biscuits to accompany a lentil soup I was defrosting, so I created a variation on my biscuits. I'm also experimenting with using less grains in my recipes, so I tried using garbanzo bean flour with good results.

Herbed Cheesy Biscuits
Ingredients:
2/3 cup liquid (I used half rice milk, half water)
1/3 cup soy-free margarine or oil
2 eggs or egg replacer
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 ½ teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
About 2 tablespoons dried parsley (big surprise, I didn't measure)
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup potato starch flour
1/6 cup tapioca starch (just use the 1/3 cup measure and only fill it halfway)
About 1/4-1/2 cup Daiya gluten-free dairy-free soy-free cheese (or use regular cheese)

Directions:
I do this trick: Put the 2/3 cup liquid in a glass measuring cup, and add chunks of margarine until it gets to the 1 cup point. Dump into the mixing bowl and add 2 eggs or egg replacer, and all the other ingredients except cheese and flour/starch. Beat with electric mixer. Then add flour. Beat again. Take out your beaters, and add cheese, mixing in with rubber spatula.

Use a greased 1/4 cup measure to drop dough by the cupful on a slightly greased cookie sheet (makes about 9-12). Bake at 400F for about 12-15 minutes.

These were very good and I've made them again since last Monday :)

4 comments:

Linda said...

I just love a good biscuit. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Anonymous said...

Score! Thank you so much. My cousin went Vegan this New Years and has been chewing my ear for something like this. I am going to send her this way. Thanks again...
Live Laugh and Enjoy
Fire-Eyes

Anonymous said...

Wow, that does sound good.
I love rolls. I haven't had any in so long. I will have to try it.
Thanks.

gfe--gluten free easily said...

I don't often eat traditional bread since I've gone gluten free, but I do enjoy it when I make biscuits. These sound great with the cheesy and herbal effect. :-)

Shirley