Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Gluten-free Dairy-free Taco Soup



Taco Soup
1/2 pound lean ground beef or turkey (optional)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups water
1 (16 ounce) can chopped stewed tomatoes, with juice
2/3 cup dry beans (I used pinto & small red beans)
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons taco seasoning (except when I make the recipe, I half the chili powder to make it easier on the toddler's tastebuds)
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced

1. Soak the beans in water overnight. Drain, rinse and put in crockpot on low with everything but the ground beef.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook ground beef until meat is evenly brown; drain excess fat. Throw in the crockpot with everything else and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
3. Ladle hot soup into serving bowls and stir in the avocado. Top with cheese like Daiya if you're so inclined.

I doubled this recipe. It fit nicely in my crockpot, and it was very good.

2 comments:

Linda said...

That sounds great. I've never made taco soup, but I don't know why. Thanks for linking up!

Jennifer @ No Place Life Home said...

I make a similar soup using canned beans. Silly as it sounds, I never thought to use dried beans. Thanks for making me think "outside the recipe."