Thursday, March 4, 2010

Gluten-free Raw Granola


I made a variation on this granola and was quite pleased with the results.

Gluten Free Raw"Granola
2 cups almonds
1 cup cashews
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup raisins
1/2 vanilla beans
½ tablespoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon celtic sea salt

Soak the nuts & seeds overnight. Soak the raisins & vanilla bean in a cup of water in a separate bowl.

Place the raisins, vanilla bean and their soaking water in a food processor and puree until smooth. Drain and rinse the nuts and seeds.

Add nuts and seeds to raisin/vanilla stuff in the food processor, as well as salt & cinnamon. Pulse until coarsely chopped (though my almonds stayed whole).

Spread on 2 Paraflexx sheets and load into the dehydrator. I dehydrated this on 125 for about 30 minutes, and then around 110 for 24 hours. It seemed done after about 10 hours but I figured I might as well leave it overnight to crisp it up some more. It would have made about 4 quarts of granola if Bear & I hadn't been snacking on it throughout the day while it dried :)

I ate this in the morning, topped with shredded dried coconut & a chopped banana, as well as raw pumpkin seed milk.

No comments: