Saturday, December 13, 2014

Authentic Hummus: All About That Paste



This awesome parody has inspired me to share my hummus recipe here, which I'm surprised I haven't done before. I worked in an Arabic restaurant for several years, and though I never saw the recipe, this is how they made hummus.

Hummus 6 cups chickpeas (otherwise known as garbanzo beans, Nathan!) 1/4 to 1/3 cup lemon juice 2/3 to 1 cup tahini bean water (if you cooked the beans yourself, save the water. If not, use tap water) Lots of salt! I cook the beans in a crock pot with lots of salt till they are completely mushy. Save the water when you drain them. Add at least 1/4 cup of bean water, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 2/3 cup tahini to a food processor. Slowly add the beans. Puree. Authentic hummus is not supposed to be thick, so I keep adding water until it is the consistency of a dip. You can play with the amount of lemon juice and tahini. I like it less lemony and more creamy, so I use more tahini. I'd use a full cup if I could, but my husband prefers less tahini, so we compromise and I use more water. Serve room temperature with olive oil drizzled on top. Sprinkle some paprika, add an olive and you're all set! Use pita or veggies for dipping.

No comments: