Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Another Baby Dies from a Vaccine Reaction

This is so sad:

1-year old Madyson Williams dies from the MMR vaccine

MMR is one of the few live vaccines, as well as one of the most controversial. Most vaccines contain a "killed", cultivated version of the virus or disease, whereas a few contain a live version.

I don't think parents realize the risks associated with vaccines. I'm not in any way blaming the parents; I rather blame the society we live in. If you are a parent who chooses to go against the grain and delay some vaccines or skip them altogether, you are often grilled by doctors as to your choice and made to sign a paper that states you acknowledge that your child may get sick and even die from a vaccine-related illness. Why don't they have similar forms that parents who choose to vaccinate have to sign? If vaccines are pretty safe, as many claim, and illness or death was not a possible side effect of vaccinating, then Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) would not need to exist.

I'm so sad for the parents.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

:-( This freaks me out like you wouldn't believe. I feel like I'm taking a huge risk every time I vax. My twins are well over due, according to the doc, for their MMR (which has another letter added to it now that they have included the chicken pox w/it). I feel irresponsible to allow them to have the vax, as well as if I don't do it. It's a no win situation!

Brenna Kate Simonds, Living Unveiled said...

It's a very difficult decision. Also the MMR is cultivated on aborted fetal cells, which makes the decision even more difficult for me personally, and there is no ethical alternative available in the US.

Paige said...

Very sad. You know I vacc. my kids and that we had an issue with K. getting the Measles from the MMR. We are so grateful that it wasn't worse. However, it's a very personal decision for everyone whether or not to do it.