Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Other benefits of breastfeeding

One of the other benefits of my personal experience of nursing Bear has simply been becoming so aware of what I put in my body. When I had IBS years ago, there was a time that I was lactose intolerant. I only avoided obvious dairy, though, and still ate dairy that was in prepared food in trace amounts. Since we discovered that Bear is sensitive to dairy, soy, corn, wheat & nuts, as well as most seeds, the entire way I eat has changed. I've always tried to eat whole foods, including lots of fruits & vegetables, but now, 95% of my diet is made from scratch. I even started making my own rice milk (though it's not very good!).

I have also become quite the label reader. High-fructose corn syrup is in everything. It's actually quite frightening. Soy is in everything. And why does food have so many fillers in it?

My tastes have changed. I ate peanut butter for the first time in at least 8 months, and it didn't taste that good. It used to be my #1 favorite food! I think I'm going to have to get some of the grind-your-own kind, rather than the roasted-peanuts-ground-up-with-salt-added kind. I also think back to some of my formerly favorite foods & wonder if I'd even like them anymore.

All in all, I wouldn't change anything that I've been through in the past year. I'm thinner than I've ever been naturally (as in not because of IBS/sickness or anorexia), and I feel pretty good. I think I'd feel great if I could get 7-8 hours of straight sleep, but you can't win 'em all :)

6 comments:

Ash said...

Nursing with allergies can be so tricky! The year Naomi was born, it was all gluten and dairy for us..crazy times!

thanks for your comment, I'd posted it accidentally before it was finished; it's back up now. :o)

Power Up Love said...

I invite you to visit www.PowerUpLove.com real people sharing real stories about how love has really impacted and changed their lives. Share your story, struggles, or testimonies. Blessings...

Paige said...

It's great that you've learned so much about your diet Brenna! Just curious, has N. been actually dx'd with food allergies yet? I know they are rampant in this family we seemed to find...are we lucky or what??? LOL

Brenna Kate Simonds, Living Unveiled said...

Bear was recently tested for 5 different common food allergies, all negative. That's why I'm being a little looser in terms of introducing foods & how long I wait between foods. He's even eating coconut oil :)

Paige said...

That's great! E has been asking lately if I'll buy a coconut for him to try. Sure as soon as I figure out an easy way to open the thing! LOL I miss Good Health; you lucky duck! :-)

Brenna Kate Simonds, Living Unveiled said...

Coconuts are more work than they are worth, unless you can find an Asian market with young Thai coconuts.