Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread



Why don't I ever remember to take the picture before I eat some?

I'm always looking for uses for the almond pulp that occurs after straining my almond milk. Almond milk is super easy to make. Soak 1/2 cup of truly raw almonds overnight. Drain and rinse. Put them in a blender with about 3 1/2 cups of water. Blend on the highest speed for close to 1 minute. Strain (I use a metal mesh strainer that I got at IKEA. You can also use cheese cloth). You'll have about 1 cup of wet almond pulp afterwards.

I discovered after soaking some almonds that my dehydrator is not working! So I needed to use this pulp pronto. I had a pumpkin sitting around, so I decided to roast it and make pumpkin bread.

This bread is a combination of this recipe & this recipe. I meant to half both, but didn't do it correctly! So this is what I came up with.

Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
1 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin (or canned)
5 eggs
1 cup wet almond pulp
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup coconut sugar or honey
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon pumpkin spice*
1/4 cup coconut oil

Blend the roasted pumpkin with the eggs and the almond pulp. If you are using canned pumpkin, beating it would likely suffice. Dump the blended mixture into a bowl and stir in the rest of the ingredients. Melt the honey and/or oil if it's solid.

Dump into an oiled round cake pan. Bake at 350°F for about 35-40 minutes until you stick a knife into the middle and it comes out clean. Yum!

*If you have pumpkin pie spice or pumpkin spice from the store, check to see if it has sulfites in it. They use sulfites to keep the ground ginger a pretty color. I mix my own pumpkin pie spice using several recipes from the internet.

No comments: